Pages

February 23, 2009

Easy, Yummy Snack

Are mine the only kids who are always hungry? I swear as soon as I finish the dishes from breakfast, I'm already getting requests for snacks. It is enough to drive a Mommy coo-koo. The past few weeks, I've been doing something different for snacks. I'm making muffins. They are the perfect serving size and pretty nutritious--they do have wheat germ! My kids also like these for breakfast with a bowl of applesauce or with a yogurt. I got this new recipe from my friend. Make it the real way first and then make your own adjustments. The tricky part for me is the baking because my oven is so old and unpredictable so just watch em good the first time and then you'll know how long to bake. I've successfully done these a few ways: I've done honey instead of sugar(less than a cup b/c it is sweeter than real sugar), less sugar and then once they're in the liners, sprinkle some sugar/cinnamon mixture on top so they don't miss the sugar inside, done some brown sugar in place of all the white, I've added apples and cinnamon and today I did them with carrots and cinnamon with a hint of nutmeg, orange juice & zest (sort of carrot cakish). Let me know what you think. Also, if you have any great, kid snack ideas, hook me up.

This recipe makes 18 muffins in the normal size muffin liners or 12 of those extra large ones. I just use one of those small cookie ice cream scoops, 2 scoops in each muffin. The plain recipe is super yummy for breakfast with sour plum jam on top but unless you are one of my relatives, you probably don't have sour plum jam just lying around. Well and seriously if you are one of my relatives, you probably already ate it all and have to wait until summer again when my mom makes it. It is the best jam EVER but I suppose any jam would do. :-)

Wheat Germ Muffins

1 ½ c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
1 c. + 2 T. wheat germ
1 c. +2 T. sugar
¼ +1 T. oil
2 eggs
¾ c. milk

Mix it all together. Bake at 375 for 15-20 min.

I know, kind of random measurements but they've turned out great every time. I think the key is equal wheat germ and sweetener b/c it is quite bitter alone. My other favorite muffins are from all recipes. I'll put the link. It only has 35 reviews so if you like it leave one there. You can read my review there if you look for it. I usually don't make anything from those recipes unless they have a lot of reviews but this gamble REALLY paid off.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Oooh, those sound good!!! I think I'll try the apple cinnamon version. You're always so handy with good recipes! I've been craving that almond poppy seed bread you used to make...and your chicken san marino is a staple at our house now. ;)Oh how I miss dinner nights over at the Meltons!

Carlie said...

HOLY SUGAR, BATMAN! That's a lot in a "healthy" muffin. No wonder they're so delicious. I'll make them, though.

I have a delicious recipe for bran muffins that I doctored up with wheat germ and zuchinni. My kids gobbled them up. The only negative was the dramatic increase in fiber for their little bodies, if you catch my drift...we all know what fiber does. I'll send it to you if you want.