Pages

June 6, 2009

Bird Lake

We went kayaking last weekend with some friends and it was so fun even if the weather was all over the place. I was adding and subtracting layers the whole time. And I thought I'd never use math...my dad was right.

I don't know what the real name of the lake was but I decided to call it bird lake and bird island. We seriously felt like we were inside of Animal Planet because there were so many geese and loons, and ducks all on this island sitting on nests. We also saw a ton of eggs just chilling in nests. When we'd get close to the edge of the island, the geese would go all crazy honking and hissing. I have to say overall I hate Canadian geese. Ironically I think I saw more Canadian geese when we lived in Colorado than I have since we've lived here. Duh, maybe because they go south for the 7 month winter. I think geese are pretty and I think a gosling might be one of the cutest baby animals ever but man can those fools poop. And they are major punks. They hiss and honk and chase little kids. But back to the poop. You've never seen so much poop in your life! Even you with kids. Poop everywhere I say! Not really the best ingredient for a blanket picnic. It takes me back to springtime in Golden, living so close to Clear Creek and watching the newly hatched babies swimming around with their mommies and daddies. And it also reminds me how I lived next to a park of poop. Let's all flashback together:
Here's me pregnant (with Tats). The only time my big stomach is really acceptable being big. I'm with my niece, Meagan and my nephew, Nicholas.
This picture is a trip because I'm so skinny and also because my hair is so long. I feel like that girl is a different person. We were on this river practically everyday. The one thing I don't miss from Colorado, ok two things: snakes and squirrels.

Anyway, back to Animal Planet. Here is Lucy, Goosey. She likes to honk, warm her baby eggs up and oh yeah, POOP! For her nest, she likes to pull out the fluffiest down feathers. Just seeing her downy nest made my Lovstedt nose start to itch.
Here is the goose family from the future. Why did their kids already hatch when the rest of these poor geese were still sitting on their nests? I watched them for like 1/2 hr. So cute. They watched me too. They thought I was a trip.
This next thing is pretty cute too. And she also likes to poop.

Here's me all hard core. The sun finally came out strong and I tried to lay out in the kayak. Note to all those out there, not so good to row while you're laying out. I was trying to spit out that accidental drink of bird lake for like 5 min. NASTAY!

We took turns going out and staying ashore and watching the girls. It was super fun. Tati had fun walking around and getting into danger as you can see.

And Chloe had a blast playing with one of her friends, Corbin. They were using these butterfly nets trying to catch fish. They mostly caught lake muck. Do you love how Corbin is wearing his church shoes? He's a funny kid.

Chloe LOVED going in the kayak. She looked like this pretty much all day.

It was a great trip and hopefully we'll get to do it again. There is so little time with good weather that you pretty much have to enjoy it while you can.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

So fun and I am so jealous!! I want to go on a lake with some birds and soak up the sun! Oh, but not jealous of the poop, GROSS! We have a goose poop park here, TONS of geese, canadian, white ones with spikes on their tongues (no joke) and like to try to eat kids and puppies. But the little goslings are SO cute! You just want to rub your face on their soft down!

Samber said...

Well, I'm glad that you found someone your age to kayak with! Looks like fun.

Carlie said...

Looks like you had a nice time in some warmer weather...finally! I think it's funny how you had layers and then suddenly kids in bathing suits! It was super nice here today- like 90...with a breeze. Perhaps to some it sounds like Hell-- to me, perfect.

And I like the new header/background! Is that you being fancy or did Emily do it?

Marnie said...

Julie, you look exactly the same size in that picture as you do now. You really have issues. I can't believe how young Meagan looks. She's grown up so much in the last year or two.

Looks like a fun trip. The girls are so cute and so big. I can't wait to see them. Tati looks more and more like a little girl and not a baby. I'm afraid we missed the entire baby phase for her. How sad.

Did I already say I wished we could kayak with you guys. Oh to have you close to us. You're probably right. If we lived close, we'd never get anything done.