Pages

September 18, 2009

One man's trash...

Is another man's treasure.
That's what they say.
Do you believe it?
Are you trash picker?

I AM!

It may have all started when I was little and we lived behind Pic-n-Save (now known as Big Lots) and we'd go with our friends and trash pick generic Barbies and toys. (Yes, we'd always get in trouble if we got caught). Or it might be from always thrift store shopping growing up. Or it might come from a mother who would always make my dad slow down as we passed by a yard sale. But wherever it came from, it is fun and when you really find something great, it is quite satisfying. Who needs craigslist when you live here?

Wanna know what is up for grabs this week at "my" garbage? Well, here we go:
  • vintage t.v.
  • trunk freezer
  • don't like a trunk freezer? Ok, how about a stand up freezer?
  • swiffer wet mop
  • aquarium
  • sectional couch with hide-a-bed
  • a single bed frame
  • a recliner of sorts
  • an entertainment center (I saw on the internet a girl who made a homemade kitchen out of an old entertainment center. If I find the link, I'll put it here.)
  • paint in various colors
  • firewood
  • a mattress and boxspring (just saying--got to draw that line somewhere though, right?)
  • a work bench
  • a weight bench
  • a shopping cart

Wondering if I live next to a dump? Well, I don't...technically. I actually live in this really mysterious place called the ghetto. It is amazing what you see here and what is normal here. When we first moved here we thought that the garbage was like this because a lot of people were moving in at the same time as us. But nope, it is like this all the time. People actually come from far and wide to look for treasures amongst our trash. I know this because no treasure lasts for too long here. They disappear fast and then all that is left is the trash. Plus, technically if treasure is left too long with the trash, it resembles trash more than it does treasure. Want to know what I've picked? Ok, as Yo Gabba Gabba says, I'll "A BREAK IT DOWN!"
  • Our finest treasure was a Chariot stroller. (The link is the new one but it will give you an idea.) It is just a one childer but it is in peak shape although several years old. All we had to do was clean it (majorly disinfect it), pump up the tires and out of luxury buy some swivel wheels. Now that I own one, I dare say they are really worth all the hype and even more dare I say they are worth the price tag. (Easy for me to say huh?) Also, not to sound too ungrateful but brother, what would I do for a double of these strollers?!
  • A kitchen table*
  • 4 kitchen chairs*
  • A rocking chair*
  • A lamp with lampshade and light bulb included*
  • A kid bike
  • A kid scooter (razor)
  • A book shelf*
  • An end table*
  • A bed with a plug (massager)*
  • A lounge chair back support thingy
  • A trunk freezer (We had a stand up freezer but it would never totally freeze the ice cream. We saw this one out there and decided to give it a try. Our ice cream is solid now. Luxury. We sold our upright freezer though, for $40.)
*There was a family who just moved here from Mexico so we found a lot of stuff for them. I thought the massager bed but gross but they thought it was fantastic. One man's trash...


Looking for a good garbage book for your kids? Although I would've guessed that this would be a boy book only, I have yet to meet a kid who doesn't love this book. I don't know what it is about it from the detailed descriptions of the nasty garbage the truck eats to the random onomatopoeia's (sound effects) throughout the book but check it out.

And just when you thought you couldn't find another weird book. The authors just came out with a new one. This one is all about a back hoe.
(For my loyal readers, I really think Dylan and Wally and Weston would love these.)

6 comments:

Greg said...

I like to think of it as "Extreme Recycling." It is not that we can't afford to buy our own new stuff (because we totally can't) but it is that we are so environmentally conscious we feel it is our duty to rescue these items from the already over-stuffed garbage dumps. Another great post Julie!

Carlie said...

"Are you a trash picker?' you say?
No, but I'm a trash giver...I'm sure many a digger have found treasures in my reject items.

And I sent your Halloween decor today. 7-10 days...

Floyd said...

That is so funny, a trash picker and I can vouch for the truth of recycle pile behind the Melton apt. I have to admit that I built a tree stand out of wood I got at the dump years ago. It lasted through six children including Greg

Teresa said...

That is the bomb diggity! I love the idea of the kitchen being made from an old entertainment center! Super creative!

Olivia Justine said...

wow julie. that is some amazing dumpster diving. i'm so super impressed i hardly know what to say really. that stroller is AWESOME! and definitely worth the price paid. do you ever find that when you get something great like that for free that you actually end up being a little more crazy about it than if you had actually just bought it cause you know in your heart you can't replace it for free again? so then it actually becomes priceless? :) happens to me.

around these parts no one throws anything away hardly. too many earth minded people in berkley for that. but our craigslist free board is fantastic cause no one wants to just pitch stuff. and sally (salvation army) is loaded.

that dumpster nearly makes me want to come visit just to see if i can find a treasure :)

Melanie said...

Ok so I want to see your treasures now. I love to see the final project in the home. Yes I am a trash picker too. and I think I got a little bit of it from you in Colorado :) but it is so fun.