Pages

January 22, 2010

Winter Olympics

Unbeknownst to some people (Mom, how embarrassing), the Winter Olympics are in Canada this year. They officially start in February some time. Anyway, we had the pleasure of seeing the Olympic torch run through town. It was so freezing outside and I'll just go ahead and admit I almost decided against it. But in the end, I was glad we all listened to Daddy.

I remember back in 1984 (feeling old here) when the torch came through my town in California on it's way to Los Angeles. It was cool. And it is something I can remember even now years later. So we wanted at least Chloe to be able to remember this later on.

Awesomely enough, when we were in California this past summer, I found this hoodie for Chloe at the thrift store. Now she feels all cool and Olympic festive. Come on, you've got to love thrifting!


We had to park far away and then walk over to the torch route. It was cool to see how excited everybody was. I forgot how much I love that Olympic spirit. It just gets me all emotional to see how much people just love their countries.


Here's our spot on the street. We strategically tried to have some wind break and just for the record, I should've worn more clothes--it was freezing! I love Chloe's pose here. It pretty much sums up this girl in one shot.

We were lucky enough to be lined up right when the runner bus dropped off the next person to get lit up and run. They had two busses, one for those about to run and the other for the ones with the burnt out torches.


This guy apparently didn't want to have his face in everybodys' pictures. Come on, we really only wanted the torch in our pic anyway. I couldn't crop out random boy without losing Tati. Oh well.
Isn't he torch weird looking?


This is right after they lit each other. They made the other guy extinguish his torch super fast. Then he posed with people with his burnt out torch and then jumped on the bus.

Here we are all together. Just a note, when you have a stranger take your picture, have them take more than one.
By the time we saw the torch and got out of the traffic, everybody was STARVING! We were poorly prepared: no snacks! We were forced to go to Wendy's and eat cheeseburgers and fries. It was a tough sacrifice, but hey, sometimes you have to sacrifice for your kids. I should try to schedule family outings to always conflict with dinner and just happen to not have a dinner picnic packed. He he.

So when you're watching the Winter Olympics (or at least the ice skating part), think of us here in Canada.

4 comments:

Marnie said...

You guys look good in the freezing Canadian weather.

I can't believe you found Chloe's sweatshirt in California this last summer. I wonder why someone was getting rid of it before the Olympics even happened.

Samber said...

You are now officially more Canadian than I.

emily w. said...

Winter Olympics...brings back so many memories of the Commodore 64...speed skating, the hot dog...

Olivia Justine said...

wow. you've seen the olympic torch twice??? that's incredible that you've even seen it once! what an awesome experience. good job greg...way to push julie out the door! we love that about you :)