Pages

March 3, 2013

Old Ladies

So it turns out that I really love doing embroidery.  Who would've known?

I decided that this year for birthday presents, I would sew my childrens' friends a purse or bag with some embroidered embellishments.  It has been great because it keeps me sorta crafty but it is something that I can do in spurts and really is relaxing.  Embroidery books however are super dumb.  They are written in a language I don't understand.  They are in the same language as word problems, health insurance pamphlets, tax information, and overly detailed period piece novels about the British class system.  My dear, sweet, husband who speaks all of those languages except the last was able to help me visualize the stitches and translate the words into my language.  I've been adding a few, new stitches to my repertoire.  I've been laughing at myself at how excited I've been getting at dorky things like embroidery hoops that are really tight, or a really sharp needle, or even adding beads and sequins to things.  Apparently this excitement has been contagious because Chloe has been really wanting to do some embroidery too.  So I gave her the chance.  At first I thought it was over her head because she wasn't listening to all the instructions before trying the stitches and she wasn't watching me the way I told her to poke the needle or hold the needle and I was getting frustrated and impatient.  So I told her she had better listen or she wasn't going to get to sew.  So she listened and I explained it all again.  Then I gave her a simple straight line to sew.  She did it.  So I gave her a another straight line to sew.  She did it.  Then I gave her a straight-ish line with a little bump in it to sew.  She did it.  Then she said she wanted to sew her name.  And lo and behold, SHE DID IT!  Now I need to come up with some project where she can sew her name.  I'm so proud of her.  Honestly, she exceeded my expectations.  See for yourself.  Now we're both turning into old ladies.

2 comments:

Floyd said...

Way to go Chloe, you are the best and way smarter than your mom gives you credit for, HA, I will hear about this but good for you. Your great grandma Melton would sew like that very often and was very good at it.

Melanie said...

so fun! I want to see more of you "old ladies" HA work.