
See Marnie, you don't have to have anything special in mind for a post!
I'm just curious what other people eat for breakfast. I mean, I know what my family eats for breakfast. For one it is some booby milk with some fruit later, for the others, it is cereal. Every single day just cereal. Then there is me. I guess I just don't really like cereal that much. My stomach isn't even hungry when I get up in the morning--mostly because my four year old is waking up way too early for me to be naturally nice let alone make breakfast. So I get the ball rolling like this: bowl, spoon, milk, cereal. I guess in that sense I'm ever grateful for its simplicity but truthfully how much cereal can one person take? When I was in college, sure you'd skip a normal meal for the quickness and simplicity of having a bowl of cereal instead of making a real meal. It gave you the added boost of energy in the afternoon or the wee hours of the night when that term paper was still being typed out. Maybe that is my problem. Maybe I overdosed on cereal. I used to love Blueberry Morning cereal. Now, I'm like, "Uh, it's ok."
I'm more of a hot breakfast girl. I could just as easily eat breakfast food for breakfast than I could eat dinner for breakfast. I love omelettes even though I don't really like eggs. Anything with bacon I will love or anything with fry or potato in it I will love too. But those warm meals are just so time consuming and the last thing I have in the morning is time. Back in the day in the U.S. I would just have a Chocolate Royale slimfast and maybe a peanut butter toast with it and call it good. That would keep me satisfied until lunch even but they only have the slimfast in cans here in CAN so I've long since kissed it bon voyage. I do like me some steel cut oats but they take 100 years to cook and for the life of me as I leave it to cook, 9 out of 10 times, it will boil over on me because I've impatiently turned the heat up. The cleaning of the stovetop later completely spoils them for me. I have had some 5 min. quick steel cut oats but alas again not available here.
Recently though, I’ve discovered cereal that I don’t get sick of—at least not yet. It’s coconut granola. I love granola but it is so expensive! I’ve tried a few recipes but I swear they call for so many ingredients that by the time I make it, it costs more than if I just went to the health food store and bought it. I vary things I add to it like: craisins, raisins, the nuts, the extract flavors, spices, etc. I also vary what I eat with my granola: white milk, chocolate milk, yogurt, fresh fruit, canned fruit, etc. It is easy to make, yummy to eat and it makes the whole house smell yummy. It is a fool-proof recipe and very forgiving. What I still haven’t tried yet though is to add some dried pineapple bits to make pina colada granola. That would be right up my alley. So here is a copy for all of yous. I got it from my friend Sondi who has lots of hungry kids and is a fellow frugal girl. Sold me.

COCONUT GRANOLA
Combine:
2 C whole wheat flour
6 C rolled oats
1 C flaked coconut
1 C wheat germ
1 C seeds (optional)
1 C nuts
Blend separately:
1/2 C water
1 C oil
1 C honey or corn syrup
2 t coconut extract
1 t salt
Mix dry and wet together. Spread out on 2 cookie sheets. Bake 45 minutes at 300°F until dry and golden. Stir frequently the last 15 minutes, so it doesn't get too toasted.
If you don't like coconut, do an extra C of seeds or nuts instead, and use vanilla extract. If you like to add raisins or dried fruit, do that when you serve it, or after it has baked and cooled. And don't be scared of all of the oil; use canola - it's a healthy choice, and the fat will help keep the kids satisfied for longer. Finally, if you're not going to eat it all within 4 weeks, store it in the freezer or fridge so that it doesn't spoil.
I will make one disclaimer. For people who have never had home-made cereal, it won't taste as sweet as you're used to. You can either just ween off that sugar cold turkey or lul yourself away from it by adding like 1/2 c. to 1 c. of brown sugar to the wet portion and then less and less each time. Or you could always throw a few fruit loops in too.
So tell me, what do you eat for breakfast? I need some ideas. Do you eat right away when you get up or do you eat hours later?

8 comments:
I feel the same now about Blueberry Morning - it's just ok. What happened to it? I don't really eat that much cereal anymore either. I'm with you on the all out meal - love bacon or sausage. My favorite breakfast is a breakfast burrito - scrambled eggs with some bacon, cheese, maybe a little salsa and a couple avacado slices - heaven!!!! Or I really like to make homemade bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits (I love the Grands - flaky ones). Recently I made some sausage rolls that were great - used smoked turkey sausage (the kind that comes in 2 big pieces in the packages). I quartered the big ol' link and wrapped some biscuit dough (that flaky kind of course) around it and baked it... yum-o!
It depends. Some days I'll get right in on some breakfast and others- well, I have to just run out with a granola bar and orange juice. But guess what? I LOVE granola! I am totally going to try your recipe because I agree- it is a healthy and sensible alternative to cereal. But most mornings the kiddos get instant oatmeal, and that's a crowd-pleaser.
Do we eat right when we get up? My kids do. They come out of their rooms starving. And as for me, well I used to not even need breakfast. Leave it to three little boys right in a row to throw that out the window. When I am pregnant I am hungry all the time so when I'm nursing that trend continues. I have to eat breakfast. And usually within the first 20 minutes of waking up. What do we eat? Cereal. Cold cereal. Some weekends we cook a hot breakfast. And I cook it about twice a month for dinner. Some days my kids have a granola bar or fruit instead. But we are big cereal eaters here. I even eat it for snack.
Well Juls, that was quite a post. We typically have a glass of milk first thing in the morning. Then, after about an hour Penny decides she's ready to eat. She typically eats yogurt thickened with rice krispies or a bagel or cereal with milk, which she'll always dump out, or bananas or whatever's lying around. I have an Ensure ever morning and then about mid morning eat some instant oatmeal. It never boils over. You Lovstedts and your steel cut oats, Stephan's been having that every single day also.
Hey sista! You're my first post..I just figured it out. Not be be Mrs. Fitness, but when I was training for my competition, I learned that you need to eat within 60 minutes of waking, but ideally within 30 minutes to jumpstart your metabolism for the day. You should also include a source of protein at breakfast, and everytime you eat for that matter. Even milk in your cereal has some protein. I don't love cold cereal. I don't even remember eating it growing up, only Dad ate it. Everyday I have the same thing-4 egg whites, 1 whole egg omelet with hot sauce (of course) and 1 cup mixed berries or 1 piece homemeade wheat bread. And my vitamins. Every couple of days I mix it up and eat Steel Cut oatmeal (Marnie) with my eggs or maybe a little granola with yogurt. With the kids I'm more lenient.
Spencer is eating cinnamon rolls for breakfast right now that someone brought to us last night...with YEAST. Everyone else had Eggos.
My favorite thing for breakfast is a breakfast burrito made out of sauteed kielbasa sausage (I like the Hormel turkey kind), green peppers and onions. You warm up a flour tortilla on the skillet and then put some sour cream on and pile on the sauteed stuff. Mmmmmm. Good stuff.
It all depends on the week I am having. If I am having a healthy week, I will start off with my slimfast (put in the freezer for 20 min ) then the rest of my day is healthy. OR... if I am having a bad week, I dream about what fatty freakfast I can have in the morning like waffels, good old captain crunch (without the berries) Costcos amazing, and full of fat muffins! GINA
You didn't say what Tati eats, everyone else, I get, but what about Tati?
Post a Comment