I invented this new thing that I think all Mommies should try. It is called a "Mommy Vacation". I invented it to save myself from a break-down. I didn't think it would be so wonderful but it was. If you want to learn how to do it, read on.
- You need to be really overwhelmed. This was best accomplished for me by having my husband sleep in while I fed the girls, picked out church outfits and showered all the three girls together (killer on my back).
- You need to have been or be super stressed out. For me, I hate being late to places. And at 8:55 when I should have been out the door for church (we live within walking distance), I was still doing my hair (that's the thing with this short hair, I can't just not do it). At 9:00, I finished my hair and started my make-up and at 9:05, I was out the door while everyone else had left before me.
- You need to have been let down. For me, I helped my daughter Chloe write her talk for Primary and practiced, practiced, practiced it. I hate when she has to be fed every line. I mean I think that is fine when they are little but I know she doesn't need that anymore. I told everybody the plan, Daddy would help with parts but Chloe would have to do her main story part by herself. Everybody agreed but that is not what happened and yeah she's a kid and blah, blah, blah but it really bugged me.
- You need to be sick of your job. When we got home and there were dirty dishes everywhere, crumbs from breakfast on the floor and table and everybody whining about how they were hungry (or screaming) and even though claiming to be hungry not wanting to eat anything you offer.
- You need to feel like you are going to snap.
- Or if your baby just figured out how to scream, this alone can get you an automatic pass.
- You go upstairs (or to some corner of your house) and you tell everybody that you are gone, off duty, ca-poot!
- You put Daddy in charge.
- You eat whatever you want all day and prepare no meals for anybody else. *(*The key here is that somebody else has to do the next three otherwise you will neutralize your vacation.)
- You do no dishes. *
- You don't have to clean anything up. *
- You can take a nap. A glorious, guilt-free nap.
- You can play on your computer, cleaning off the desktop, organizing photos, reading emails, and actually typing an email without anybody else trying to whack the keyboard while you're typing, etc.
- You can eat 2 packs of Little Debbie heart cakes if you want to. In theory.
- You make everybody ask permission to talk to you before they talk to you.
- You eat Fruit Loops for dinner (even though you don't really love cereal, it just sounds so good to you, you can't believe it), and you eat it in bed if you want to because you're the mom and you can do whatever you want.
- You can "visit" your family a few times on your vacation, but if your baby starts screaming, you just tell everybody you're going back on vacation again.

9 comments:
Okay this was hillarious! I can relate to too much of this: I am always the last one getting ready because I got everyone else ready first, we always make Kaylee give her own talks, people scream or cry at me for food, etc. Glad you got your vacation!
After reading that list I kind of feel like I could qualify for a mommy vacation everyday. I think that may say less about the job of motherhood than it says about my abilities to cope with stress. Regardless, I think it's time I cashed in. Cute post!
I SO need a mommy vacation! What a great idea. I loved when you said having another set of hands wacking the keyboard when you are trying to type...that is my life!! so funny. Miss ya, hope all is well.
Excellent! I kind of get one of those.. once a year. It's called Mother's Day. It would be nice if it happened more often, though- I'm with Emily, I feel like I need that everyday.
I also realize I need to implement additional rules. Even though it's my day off, I somehow always get sucked into doing my "normal" mom stuff by the end of the day because "some people" can't hang. What would they do without us?
I just love you Julie! You crack me up.
Oh my gosh, this post was great! It makes me feel soooo good to know that I'm not alone! You are such an amazing mom, you seriously are such an example to me, even when you're thousands of miles away! I'm so glad you got your mommy vacation! (and seriously, you ate fruit loops??? You must have REALLY needed a vacation!) Hang in there, you're the BEST!!! *BIG HUG*
I think that sounds like something that should just be mandatory at least once a month. You're brilliant!
Hey Julie! I just now read the comment you made on my blog. Okay, so I really don't get to do this much. It's so fun to see your blog. Thanks for your note, too. I will tell Ben I'm going to have a mommy vacation each month--just what I needed. Thank you.
amen julie. amen.
Post a Comment