Pages

February 5, 2009

The Tooth Fairy?


So as most of you already know, I'm quite anti-Santa. It all stems from me working as "Santa's Helper" at the Esplanade mall back in the day. Santa was a total perv. He was just so gross and would always be like, "Why don't you come sit on my lap?!" and we'd be like, "Shut up Santa." He convinced me that there were plenty other bad Santas or pervy Santas. I never talk about Santa at Christmas time if I can avoid it and we have no Santa decore. But Chloe is no dope and her friends talked about him all the time. She's growing up and this year asked me if she could go talk to him one day while we were walking by and I didn't have the heart to not let her. I told her I wasn't going to "help" her so if she wanted to talk to him, she'd have to do it by herself. I was certain this would have deterred her since she is quite shy with most adults but she just marched right up to him and told him she wanted either a pegasus pony or a unicorn pony with a magnet foot. "Please no normal ponies because my mom says I have too many of those. " Then she explained the difference between a pegasus and a unicorn, asked if she could have a candy cane and we were on our merry way. Sadly, no pegasus or unicorn appeared. Santa did this whole, "If I can't find those, I'll have to bring underwear and socks..." which I thought was pretty lame but probably a good line if you're "Santa". I'm sure she noticed but hasn't said anything. Anyway, this is a really long intro to the following.

For some reason the idea of the Tooth Fairy doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I think it is quite fun. She is a bit of a trippy idea--I mean what is she supposed to do with all those teeth?! And yeah Santa sneaks into your house but this fairy chick sneaks right into your room, worse, right by your head and reaches under your pillow! Why aren't more people freaked out by this idea? [Side note: my little brother used to think a troll was going to come into his room and suffocate him. We saw this freaky show on t.v. (some "short" movie with Drew Barrymore but as a child) Where were my parents changing the channel? He would sometimes write things on his mirror with crayon and then say the troll did it.] The reason I'm bringing it up is because Chloe has TWO loose teeth. More than that, she has two adult teeth already here (only one at the time of the photo) and the two baby teeth are still here too. She's a snaggletooth. See for yourself.
Now let's see if I can answer a few of your obvious questions:
  • Yes, I have only one nail painted. So w.t. I know. It is now immortalized forever. I didn't have time to finish--hardly ever do but I love having my nails painted.
  • Yes, that is a tear running down her face. I can't say that I had the best parental reaction to seeing this tooth. I feaked out. Then I showed Greg and he kind of freaked out.
  • Yes, I have heard of this happening to other kids (since then. Before then, no.).
  • Yes, it is weird.
  • Yes she is young to already be losing her teeth. (But again, not unheard of and she will be 5 in April.)
  • No, there is nothing to worry about unless the baby teeth don't come out on there own at which point we'd have to have a dentist remove them. (I did a video consultation with my dentist--that's how I know that. My dentist is my brother in law.)
  • No, there is no free dental in Canada. Yes, free health insurance, no free dental. No free optical.
  • Yes, she is excited (and scared) and she's been bragging to all the other kids her age about how she is more grown up than they are.
  • Yes, we've been reading a ton of books from the library and I've been amazed at how many times biting into an apple is mentioned. I liked the one when the kid bit into a marshmellow and his tooth stuck.

Now my turn for some questions.

How do you do the tooth fairy? How much money does the tooth fairy give these days (does it keep increasing like babysitting and gas)? Do you have any fun ideas of things we can do to make this memorable or fun? Any tips on getting the tooth out any faster? What do you do with the tooth that the "fairy" has taken? Do you save it? (side note: when my sister was little, she had this freaky tooth growing up like towards her nose and she had to get it removed. After the surgery, the doctor gave her her tooth is this plastic tooth shaped necklace with a flip top lid. I was so jealous. I was also so excited to see the tooth. She busted it out and it was all long with this like really long root and it TOTALLY freaked me out. After that, every time I'd see the necklace, I'd like pinch pick it up and move it as far away from my dresser as I could get it. I think my mom still has a jewelry box full of our teeth. Wonder if that freaky tooth is still around inside that cool necklace.)

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

aw...if Kaylee could see your header she would chant "Greg and Julie sittin' in a tree..."

And I have way too many thoughts about Santa and the Tooth Fairy. I will have to email you! (like how we don't do Santa. I LOVE the Tooth Fairy. And Kaylee had both those same adult teeth behind her baby teeth!)

emily w. said...

Cute kissy header!

OK, the tooth thing is weird but definitely better than a sixth toe or something. And you know it will correct itself so that's good.

About the tooth fairy thing. Here's how we do it around here. The recipient (a.k.a. the tooth loser) writes a note to the Tooth Fairy telling her that she lost a tooth and then can request money or a small prize. The Tooth Fairy then brings said money (usually one dollar) or a small prize (something from the Target dollar bin) and leaves it under the pillow (or next to the pillow if it's something bigger).

If the Tooth Fairy forgets (not that this ever happens around here!) than she (dad) must slip into the tooth loser's room in the morning and hide her money or prize under the bed and say, "Hey, she didn't forget you. You must have knocked it under your bed when you got up this morning."

The Tooth Fairy then promptly throws away the tooth (remember to burry it in the trash) because we think it's gross to save teeth.

Hope that helps :)

Molly said...

Jules--worry no more. My 6 year old Cort has just gone through the SAME thing. "Big" teeth coming up full force behind the "baby" teeth that REFUSE to come out. We went to the dentist, got x-rays, and they said we probably would need to get a few teeth pulled if they didn't come out within a month. Well, I was NOT going to pay $100/tooth to have them pulled so we used all kinds of tricks and tools from the garage and got the first problem tooth out just 2 nights ago! Wahoo! Money in the bank! :) Cort was over the top excited although I thought it lost a little something after we spent 2 weeks yanking on it full force. :) I promised him I would make him a cake in the shape of a tooth when he lost his first tooth(saw the idea in a mag years ago) and have been doing that today. White cake mix, 9x13 pan, tub of white frosting and a little artistic ability to cut it into the right shape and voila!Masterpiece.

Cyndi said...

Whats' up with the PDA,huh?

The tooth fairy tries to mix it up at our house and never gives the same amount of moola or in the same increments. We usually keep it around or less than $2. For example, Skylar lost her first tooth on her sixth birthday so got six of every kind of coin. When she lost her eight tooth, she got 8 quarters, etc., etc. This way we don't really have a set number so if we don't have that much money laying around then she's not expecting the same thing. Because you know, sometimes the tooth fairy can be forgetful. Especially the week of Christmas when said tooth fairy has already made a visit and Santa's supposed to be there the next day. That day the tooth fairy made a quick visit while Skylar was in the bathroom and splurged with three crisp dollar bills. I think she (actually he) was acting out of guilt for being late!

Oh, and if you can find a tooth fairy pillow and place it at the end of the bed, it makes life a little easier. We found one at the $ store. Do they have those up north?

Rebecca said...

okay nevermind about the email. I will just leave a massive comment.

My parents were awesome tooth fairies and I am following in their footsteps. Kaylee puts her tooth in a clear glass of water the night that she lost it. The next morning when she returns to the glass (which we keep in the kitchen) it is colored, glittered, etc and there is money at the bottom where the tooth used to be. The coloring comes from the fairy when she has to fly to the bottom to get the tooth (or swim, whatever) and sometimes glitter comes off of her wings. So far we have used purple, teal, orange (she is convinced that fairy was a boy), and pink. I love it and she loves it. So far we have only given four quarters, except for the first time she got a gold dollar. My parents would put bills under the glass and spill some water because you know how hard it would be for a fairy to life a glass to put money underneath. I did have a tooth pillow my Mom made, but I always picked the glass. It is so fun to see Kaylee excited over what color her water was or if there was glitter or not. Add any other believable embelishments you can think of. We tried baking soda as "snow" but it apparently wasn't "cold" so she wasn't too convinced. Happy tooth fairing!!

Carlie said...

In case you're wondering--I have the freaky tooth in the tooth necklace with my "special"mementos. Somehow seeing that in writing makes it wierd and gross...anyway we do the $1 a tooth, but the first one is usually more, or we throw in something extra. The comment by your friend Rebecca about the tooth in colored/glitter water is GREAT! Sounds totally up Chloe's alley, I might steal that idea for my younger two.

I also HATE Santa. I don't think it's from any incident- I just think the whole idea is retarded. Santa doesn't bring you JACK, your Mom and Dad do. Some people might say I'm mean, but I've told my kids since they were really little that Santa wasn't real. Christmas is about Jesus. Speaking of Christmas, I have your Christmas presents all boxed up still sitting in my laundry room (tee hee) I'll mail it this week!

lisam said...

I always left money and a very special note...that told the girls there toothfaires name....each one had a different tooth fairy...one was Pearl.E. White for just an idea and the girls ate it up...by the time Stacia was 5 she had lost 4 teeth and grown the permanant ones...dont freak....all normal...I promise

Natalie said...

Awww, how fun! The same thing happened to me when I was little! Same teeth, too. I had to have my baby teeth pulled. :( But I was sooo excited to get to have the tooth fairy come! I got to keep my teeth. Some people make little pillows with a little pocket to put the tooth in...that might be fun. We used to get a quarter...but I hear it's been upped to a dollar, too. And I remember digging through my mom's drawer one day and finding this old medicine container with a whole bunch of teeth in it and just being so disgusted! But now that we're reaching that stage, too, I think it would be hard to throw it away! Okay, I didn't resolve any of your problems...but I like the jar idea that Rebecca left. ;)

Anonymous said...

There has been so much history revealed in the post. Pervy Santa, the troll and tormenting your brother, your mom keeping all your teeth (!?) So funny. I haven't reached the Tooth Fairy stage but I will definitely refer to this post later for ideas.

I love your blog.