Pages

May 4, 2009

Maggie

We've befriended a magpie. We named her Maggie. Maggie lives in the pine tree in front of our house. She is a very busy bird. She spends hours combing the ground for food and sticks. Unfortunately she has a broken wing so she can't fly but somehow she still manages to like hop/fly/climb the tree and even fight off a few other pigeons or Robin Red-Breasts to defend her sanctuary. I never thought I'd love a magpie. Maybe it is her determination to triumph even though she is completely broken or maybe it is because Tati loves her so much and when you see a bird through a child's eyes, your perspective can't help but be different. Or maybe it is because she never squawks. In any case, Maggie is now like a member of our family. Each morning we eagerly open the shades in the living room to see what she is up to.

To help make her life a little easier, we decided that we'd buy a bird feeder and put it by the window so that our little baby bird watcher would have a better view. Here's the one we got:

I poured some seeds out and even made a trail over to the pine tree. But Maggie hasn't even come over. Nobody has for that matter. It has been a MAJOR disappointment. No robins, no chickadees, not even a pigeon or a crow. NADA! It was pointed out to me by my friend that our bird feeder wasn't really intended for such a large bird such as a magpie and also pointed out to me that people don't really try to lure magpies to their bird feeders--kind of like we're trying to have a seagull for a pet-- and that my bird feeder might be on a wimpy branch. I assured her it was fine because I tied some yarn around the branch to secure it. It was then I realized just how silly I sounded. We might have to break down and move the stupid house into the backyard which would totally defeat the purpose of us even buying this dumb frog feeder. Do you think birds are afraid of frogs?

Here's Maggie. You can see her gimpy wing:

And here is Tati looking for Maggie:

And here are both the girls mesmorized by the outside. Or maybe they just can't help wondering where all the snow is.
Any tips on luring birds? I mean I thought the seed trail was a stroke of cartoon genius already.

7 comments:

Marnie said...

I love the pictures of Tati looking out the window. I can't wait to see her, she's so dang cute! She's so bright and happy and cheerful, her and Ginger will be great friends.

Carlie said...

Peanut Butter. You need a stick or piece of wood, then nail a "perch" on the bottom, schmear with p.b and roll in bird seed. My kids have all done this at school, and the birds love it! Hard to imagine? Call me and I'll show you on chat.

Samber said...

Haha. Those were some valid points that your friend made. Magpies LOVE unshelled peanuts. Just throw a handful around your bush there.

kkoyle said...

I might have to turn you in for feeding a magpie. Most likely no birds have come to your little feeder, because it has eyes on it and where the seeds are is kind of in the same place as an opposing animals mouth. So color over the eyes, and make the bird feeder look really dirty (not quite so bright and shiny) and in the springs birds are usually really busy eating seeds on the ground so it could take them a while to find you. Goodluck!!

Moss Family said...

Julie,
Do not know if you remember me Tiffiny, found your blog. Your girls are so cute. Check out my family blog at mosspartyof5.blogspot.com

carlston said...

Hi Julie... First, I have to say, I can't believe Chloe is five. I wanted to come to her birthday it looked so fun! Second, i don't ever think I've commented on how darling your Tatiana (sp?) is - what a beautiful little girl. Finally, I got your message on my post and you crack me up - I like your idea of a redo for Mother's Day! Hope all is well in Canada.

Olivia Justine said...

hey...i can totally get behind the peanut butter roll in bird seed thing. but be aware of squirrells! two l's? i can't remember. avery just made one of those using a pine cone. i tied it four times onto a tiny branch outside our window so we could watch the birds eat it (sound familiar?) and the next morning our resident squirrel (i think it's 1 L) had eaten the string to break it and was CHOWING down on the pine cone, peanut butter, bird seed combo.

isn't it crazy how being a sahm slows life down in some ways? so much so that you begin to know your local birds and squirels? (1 R or 2? i'm clearly spelling retarded here) i get your love for maggie. i'll have to name our squirrel. he/she just came out with their baby for th efirst time yesterday. i nearly cried i was so happy for her. is that awesome or just totally pathetic?