Pages

March 15, 2010

"Family Business"

Whew, what a morning. Through miraculous intervention, my children slept in. I first opened my eyes at 7:52. That is late for us especially considering I gave birth to a rooster. I strained my ears to see if maybe I wasn't the only one awake and I was so I just closed my eyes and went back to sleep. My rooster (who was thrown off by the time change) started crowing at around 8:15. It was great. I jokingly told Greg (who was still sleeping too) that maybe today just shouldn't be a school day. Maybe we should have a family vacation. He sighed and said he couldn't. It was now just about 8:30 and I could hear Chloe finally waking up. Her school was going to start in 8 more minutes. There was no way we would make it there in time so we did what any good parents would do, we called the school to report her absence.

"Reason for absence?" the secretary asked me. "Family Business." I answered.

"Oh, ok." she answered.

"Family Business". Was it really that easy? I thought for sure she would press me with more questions and I'd be forced to divulge that we were just being too lazy and tired today but no. "Family Business" apparently is the magic phrase. What does that mean anyway? I guess that is what I love about it, it can mean anything. Today it means, "It is none of your business why she isn't going to school except that we're too lazy today and it is just kindergarten and we're tired and since it is just a few hours this morning I'd rather just have her stay here."

That's when the phone rings and it is my friend J asking me if I am still planning on picking her son up from kindergarten to play at my house today. She goes on to tell me that she has made plans in the which she is unable to pick up her son. "Uh oh", I think. I can't show up at the school with my two kids to the classroom right next door to Chloe's classroom, can I? So we came up with the most responsible plan we could (wink, wink), she would call the school and tell them that her son was going to leave school early today at which point I'll sneak in, (leave the girls in the car), run by Chloe's classroom and sneaky pick him up. This is fixing to be one awesome day. So maybe sometimes "Family Business" includes "Friend Business" too.

1 comment:

Marnie said...

Oh, this is what you meant by family business the other day on the phone. Sounds like a fun day.