
I love Earth Day. My mom said I always was her little hippie. Very un-hippie like though I do like shaved legs and pits so maybe I'm not so hippie afterall. I'm surprised at how many people overlook this holiday as something too liberal or ignore it all together. I think Earth Day is a great day to celebrate the beauty of the world we live in, teach our families about being accountable for our decisions, the importance of being self-sufficient, cleaning up after yourself, and also for having respect for things and creatures. Especially as a Christian person I feel an extra desire to celebrate the Earth and want to protect it because it was created for us by Jesus. It can also be fun too. Here's what we did on Earth day which kind of turned into Earth week.
- We all dressed like nature. Chloe wore butterfly pants, Tati wore an apple onesie, I wore a flower shirt and flower earrings, and Greg wore a green grass shirt.
- We cleaned and dusted our house really well. As we dusted we talked about why we clean our house and what it would look like if we either didn't clean it or expected somebody else to clean it up. (Are you wondering how this fits in? Earth Day celebrating Spring=Spring Cleaning.)
- We talked about what we love about the earth.
- We talked about ways we can care for the earth.
- We set up our new wasp trap (this may seem anti-Earth day but w/o wasps we can enjoy the outdoors more and also we got an "organic" trap that you just fill up with sweet juice and then they get in and can't get out). The next morning the stinky trap was frozen. Blah.
- We were going to make some nature crafts. Look at this fun idea.
- We were going to make a sundial but then when it was cloudy and cold all day we had to give it up. It will be fun to do another day though.
- I got a new hummingbird feeder. Put that one off too. We put some hummingbird juice out in our new hummingbird feeder.
- We put up a normal bird feeder filled with birdseed. We unfortunately haven't even had one customer yet. I even put a trail of birdseed from the feeder to the closest pine tree.

No comments:
Post a Comment