Pages

September 27, 2008

Garden Update

Just thought I'd show the successes we've had in our garden. With things cooling off, people say it is just a matter of days before gardens are done. So at night we have to put a blanket on the zuchinis so they don't die. I guess technically I should be cozying up everything but that just is too much to remember to do.

Here are the zuchini:

Everybody has a garden here. It is funny because I'm from California where it seems like it would a dream come true place to grow veggies but pretty much nobody has a garden and here in crazy weather land, everybody has a garden. My friend told me that since we were late starting, if we wanted our zuchini to actually make a vegetable, we'd have to cut off some of the other blossoms so all the power of the plant could focus on just two of the vines. It sounded like a coo-koo theory to me but I listened and it worked. I guess zuchini are pretty fool proof plants.

The tomatoes:

Out of three plants, these are all of them. It is unlikely they'll get the sun and warmth sufficient to get much bigger and possibly to turn red at all. Still, it was fun and Chloe has loved watching everything grow.

The alleged broccoli that looks more like califlower if you ask me:

The leaves have been attacked by some sort of bug or worm. Luckily I never saw a worm if there was one.

And Chloe's pumpkin? Well, looks like it is a dud. We just planted it too late.

She was excited about the vine growing and curling because it was like Cinderella's carriage. We'll have to break down and buy her a mini pumpkin from the store which is fine. Last year she named her mini pumpkin Pepa, we'll see what it is this year.

The butternut squash is only now starting to form some blossoms so we started that one too late too.

2 comments:

AmShaZam said...

Your garden looks awesome. Let me know if you need some killer zucchini recipes! And speaking of recipes...I made your granola over the weekend and it is de-lish. I made it with honey and added flax seeds. Love me that granola!

Natalie said...

Yay! Your garden grew! And I thought you said you always kill plants? Guess the days of plant killing are over! Good job, guys! I'm all inspired now!