Pages

December 25, 2011

Gingerbreading

The girls and I made a gingerbread house together one morning. I let Chloe stay home from school just to do it. It was a mental health day. School didn't get out until the day before Christmas Eve and I just knew that if we didn't have her skip a day early in the week, she'd be too excited about the class party and school celebrations that she'd miss out on making the gingerbread house all together. I know this is a crazy notion to some people but I like having her miss a day here and there for no real reason. I wish my parents would've done that when I was little.

It turned out great but it is always more work than I ever think it will be. I try to be so easy going and relaxed about it all and at the same time battle with trying to make it look good. This one looked too good. That means the kids probably didn't have as much fun as I should have let them have.

Tati and I sprinkled the foil all over with sugar so it would look more snowy. The frosted mini wheats idea we got from a gingerbread display that we saw. They didn't quite fit the dimensions of the roof perfectly but we loved it.


Chloe sprinkled everything with powdered sugar. We didn't get any good close ups, but it looked very snowish. Even after eating candies all along the way, we ended up with a bunch of leftovers so the girls decided to make a fire pit in the back yard of the house.

Now they just keep asking when they can eat it. Am I the only one who thinks that is weird? Why would you want to eat this?

Greg made some gingerbread cookies with the girls one night too. Chloe got a gingerbread cookie cutter from the city after her concert at City Hall.

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

I always tell my kids that the gingerbread houses are just for looks, not to eat! Yuck! I'm totally with you on that one.

I love the idea of the mental health days! I might have to copy that!