Pages

March 3, 2012

Fun at the ER

Well I had my first trip to the ER this week for an actual emergency. I also have never been more mad at Tati. I was proud of myself for putting her into a time out with distance from me because what I really wanted to do was give her some "what for" instead. My mom called right in the thick of it all and told me stuff like, "Oh Julie, she's just a kid." and "She didn't mean to" which seemed to me so funny in my mind at the time because she never would have said stuff like that when I was little. That's what Grandparents are for I guess.

Anyway, Tati was supposedly upstairs cleaning her room so I brought Gavin up and put him in the room with her while I peed. Sorry people, but if I have him with me in the bano, he'll try and drink the water or be reaching to places that he shouldn't be. Anyways, I went into their bedroom to check in on the "cleaning" and this is what I found:

Instead of cleaning like she just told me she was doing, Tati had dissembled this dumb whistle flashlight and had left the tiny batteries sitting out. But that flashlight was supposed to have 2 batteries and I only saw the one. The worst part is that Gavin was right in the middle of all the pieces. I freaked out. But really freaked out. I was scared and mad and worried. All these horrible thoughts filled my mind of stories you've heard of batteries leaking acid in children and killing them, etc. So I put Gavin in his bed, put Tati in a time out in the hallway and between yelling at her and asking her important questions about the events that had transpired while I was away, I looked all over the floor for the other stupid battery. After 20 min, I couldn't find it. I called Greg and told him how mad and scared I was so he called Gavin's doctor. The doctor told us to go to the ER and get an x-ray. So I got an awesome friend to watch Tati (I think the break was especially good for me here.) and Gavin and I headed to the ER.

The good news was the battery was not in his body. The bad news was we didn't know where that dumb battery was. So I put the kids to sleep in my room in weird make shift nap spots (because laundry was stacked on the bed and also they couldn't be able to see each other or Gavin wouldn't nap). It's ok though because I ended up finding it. It was in one of the toy bins that I had already checked twice and emptied out once. The difference the third time though was that I prayed to please help me find the stupid battery. And yes sometimes you have to say the word "stupid" when you're praying. By then the kids were awake and Chloe was home from school helping me look through every inch of that room. So we all participated in the "stupid battery" prayer together and guess what happened afterward? Yup, we found it.

So finding it right after our prayer turned out to be a great faith building experience for all of us. Then we had to do a "thank you" prayer. And in case you're wondering, that prayer didn't have "stupid" in it.

By then it was like 4:00 so I was so dang tired. That's when Daddy called and said we should go out to dinner. Going out to dinner never tasted so good and I never needed it so much.

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

Scary! So glad your prayer worked. Sometimes the word "stupid" just really makes the difference. :)