Pages

March 14, 2012

Sweet Genius

Have you seen this show? It is kind of like Chopped but with dessert items and a hilarious host. I think, sadly, it was a good idea killed by weird and bad ideas thrown in. Mostly I like the host and his voice and the things that he says. I told my little brother that he reminds me of him if Stephan were talking with a gay, foreign accent and saying funny culinary things. So that might be a stretch. Anyway, I had a total sweet genius moment this week.

I bought some strawberries. I bought them mostly because they were from Oxnard and it is hard for me to pass up berries from my home town. I also found out my tomatoes are from Camarillo.


It lifts up my winter spirits to buy produce from California. It is like a gift of love and deliciousness from nature. But I digress. I was also craving some real fruit and thinking maybe it would a good excuse to whip up some heavy cream because I'm always looking for an excuse to do that. ;-)

Instead we made chocolate dipped berries. I was inspired by my friend Rebecca who did chocolate berries as an after school snack and she let her kids dip them in sprinkles. So I did her one better.
Ok, so maybe I would have failed the chocolate round of this show because I clearly have clumpy chocolate and I also didn't use a double boiler, BUT I made the most delicious discovery. Roasted almonds and chocolate not only are delicious on just about anything, but on a strawberry are DIVINE or what one might call GENIUS!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Oooh, those look so good! Dangit...now I have to go buy strawberries and chocolate. Guess I'd better get dressed sometime today...ha!

Rebecca said...

You are a sweet genius! I have seen that show and I liked it for some weird reason too. I also didn't use a fancy choloate melter, just the good ole microwave. I think it would be fun to live near you. You know, you should look into being American again. :)