Pages

October 6, 2012

Summer Mustard

This summer we finally made it out to explore several lakes in this great province.  It is funny that we haven't gone out to do this sooner.  Had we known how beautiful these places are, we probably would've done it sooner.  Anyway, this is a lake pretty close to home.  Our friend's parents have a house here so it was nice to have a real bathroom to use after sitting on the sand and playing in the water.

Gavin had a great time just walking in the sludgey sand.  The bottom of the lake was a bit skummy and gross but the kids didn't even seem to notice.


At one point, our friend, Scott came out of the water with a giant leech on his leg.  I'm not going to lie when I say it put a damper on my desire to swim in that lake.  He calmly walked up to the house and poured some salt on it and it fell right off.  For the rest of the day I was in a panic examining legs and limbs when people exited the water looking for any more leeches.  Ahhhhhh!

Tati found a bunch of shells and made a collection in her bucket.  This girl makes more collections than anyone I know.  Love her.



Chloe took a while to work up the courage to jump off the dock but finally did it.  She was so proud of herself.  She is really growing up. 

I even got into the action with Brenda.  It was quite funny, it was super hot and we decided it was finally time to get wet.  So we got up to the dock and then the clouds and wind rolled in.  We had to wait several minutes for it all to clear up b/f we finally went it.  It was refreshing and fun but then that ole image of the leech on Scott's leg came into my mind and I couldn't get out fast enough.  ;-)  I'm not one to think I would put a "movie" of myself running in a bathing suit but this was so memorable and it ended up so fun that I couldn't resist.  Sometimes you just need to have a sense of humor about yourself people.
Photobucket
Super fun day.

As we sat on the beach and dried off, we noticed a beaver off in the distance.  I approached him quite close.  There was a wind blowing the reeds as I walked so he didn't hear me.  That or beavers don't have good hearing.  I was impressed at how fast he ran and then swam away.

It was beautiful there.  The thing I loved the most was how it felt like I was almost at a real beach in California.  It made me feel more at home.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

A leech, really? Yeah I would have been panicky all day thinking they were all over my kids. You were so brave to jump in after that! PS, when are you moving back to the states!?

Cyndi said...

I love the jumping in pics. What a cool mom! You're also a brave mom with those leeches. They were in the lake at our girls' camp & I refused to go in. Scary!