Pages

June 20, 2013

RIP Spot

The Circle of Life made an appearance to our house today.  Tati had found a ladybug in the front yard of our friend's house.  Unbeknowst to me, this ladybug (named Spot Redvine Melton), hitched a ride home with us in Tati's fist.  As soon as we arrived home, both she and Gavin were holding her and trying to make her a house in a small tupperware container.  I busied myself getting some food prepared for lunch and just left them to play with Spot.  When we sat down to eat lunch, Tati informed me that Spot had peed on her hand.  Now I don't consider myself a ladybug expert at all but I figured either Spot had peed on her hand or she had been squished in her hand and either way, she needed to wash her hands before she ate the lunch I had made.  So she headed upstairs.  Just as she got off her chair at the table though, Spot disappeared.  I said, "Oh I'm sure she just flew to find some ladybug lunch.  You can look for her later."

So Tati went upstairs and washed her hands and returned.  Then I heard this sad tale:

"Mom, you know how I thought Spot was lost when I went upstairs to wash my hands?"

"Yes."

"Well, she was actually hiding on my hand and when I was washing my hands, I saw her GO DOWN THE DRAIN!"  (tears start rolling)  "Oh I loved her and now she is gone!!!!!  Where does the water go after it goes down the drain?"

"Um, under the city to a water treatment facility and they clean it up and then we get it from our sink."

"Do ladybugs swim?"

"I don't know but I don't think so.  She is probably a goner sweetie."

"But I think they do swim because when she was going down the drain, her little legs were kicking all over the place and she was trying to swim out.  I bet she'll climb out of the pipe outside and I can find her later."

Yeah, well a girl can hope.  RIP Spot Redvine Melton.  You were a great pet for those 7 min. you were our pet until you were drowned and killed by your owner.

No comments: