We have been determined to go camping this summer but I'm not exactly in the best "camping" physical situation right now. Some amazing and awesome friends of ours invited us to camp by their family's lake house. They even said I could sleep in a bed inside the house. How could we refuse?
When we got there, Greg was talking about how we were still going to "act" like we were camping. We were going to spend as much time as possible outside, we were going to cook outside and of course the kids were going to sleep outside with him in the tent. I agreed but also thought it sounded like so much work. We sat outside for a bit on our camping chairs and proceeded to be thoroughly attacked by mosquitos--even with our bug spray on--then the kids started to get hungry. I walked inside the house to get our food ready and thought, "This is stupid. We should just eat inside this house at this 'real' table." I mentioned it to Greg and he reluctantly agreed. It was such a relief.
Still, we made a fire outside and did smores. Gavin was more interested in the flames and the ax than the actual eating of the smore. I opted for a new and elevated version of the smores. Graham+Nutella+Banana+Roasted Marshmallow. It was so yummy but you had to eat it open faced or it would fall all over the floor.
We spent one day at a lake beach where the kids had fun making things with sticks and rocks and we got in the water and stayed nice and cooled off.
And we also spent some time running around on a boat--until the boat broke down. But it was still super fun.
And of course, the kids slept in the tent with Greg. They seemed to "all" really sleep well and enjoy themselves.
I was pretty swollen and pretty hot and a bit miserable but it was still fun to watch the kids having so much fun. I'm glad we went and I'm glad I went even if I can't believe how I look in some of these pictures. If we're lucky, maybe we can try and go one more time this summer with our new baby--or maybe that is crazy talk. We'll see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment