Pages

October 26, 2008

My No Style

Am I the only adult who doesn't have a style? I'm looking around at all my friends houses and decore and thinking, "How do they do it?" I remember a conversation with my sister about her house when she was showing me all these changes she was making and I told her (for lack of a better way to describe it and hoping I wouldn't offend her) that I thought her house kind of looked like an Italian restaurant. The funny thing was that she told me that that was exactly what she was going for: Tuscan something. It is a great house and a really pretty house. Just not really my style. I'm never going to have a rooster in my house, fake ivy, or a fluer de lis (let's save those for the Boy Scouts). But knowing what I'll exclude doesn't mean I know what to include. My apartment is a painful mix of thrift store items mixed with hand-me-downs, mixed with homemade attempts to add color or art. A few pictures strewn around (all with different and non-coordinating frames), some plants, a few books and maybe a rock or two for Greg and a shell or two for me. But I long for a house makeover. Call it an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or too many visits to the local IKEA. But here's the problem: my brain just does not work like that. I can't just walk into a room and imagine what it would look like differently. Sure I can visualize a different room arrangement but I can't ever get my mind around different furniture in that arrangement. I am completely decorator deficient. Here's what I've tried. -My friend Amanda told me I should order a bunch of free catalogs and just ideas from there. That was fun but I've moved twice since then and I can't remember all the names and some of them don't deliver to Canada. The problem is that I will see something I like and either just turn the page and forget about it or see the price and dismiss it thinking I could never do it myself. -I started a decore scrapbook (also Amanda's idea) where you keeps bits and pieces of catalogs or fabric swatches or whatever stuff you like so later you can use all these as a reference. This was a cool idea but if Chloe's scrapbook still says she is 3 months old and she's 4, it wasn't really going to happen. My sister recently told me about Amy Butler and told me it was totally my style. How did she know that? I don't even know my style. But when I checked her out, she was right. I love bright prints or bright colors in general.

No comments: