So I always forget to mention some of the funny things this canucks say. Tonight was a doozy. So I have to share. Nobody says "roll" here as in bread product. They all say "bun". Sure, it is a hamburger "bun" or a hot dog "bun" but when you have a bread ball with dinner, it is definitely a roll, right? A dinner "roll". Nope, here it is a bun. A "dinner bun" sounds bizarre, right? At the ward party, they served chili and buns. I thought it was a weird like chili sloppy joe party but no, that just means you get a roll with some butter. The weirdest one though is for cinnamon rolls. They say cinnamon "buns". It gets some getting used to but I felt like at least I was understanding everybody but tonight I was reminded of just how American and frankly how childish I really am. I was at church waiting forever for an interview and surrounded by all these old people. It was getting late and we all had been waiting for a while when token foyer joker starts to say, "When are we going to get a treat?" and things of that nature to the secretary in charge of the order. Anyway, token joker starts talking to all these people also waiting about all these junk food items that apparently sounded really great to him at the moment. First he's talking about donuts, then cake and pie and then he starts going to cinnamon rolls--but he says "buns". Here's a little taste of it. This is two men with their wives next to them all the while straight face:
"I could really go for some buns right now."
"Oh yeah, that sounds good. My wife's buns are great!"
"Sister So and So makes some really delicious buns."
"Yeah, her buns are fabulous!"
"Yeah, but not as great as Sister Other So and So's buns..."
The whole time, I'm like trying to be serious and not laugh but it's like I'm in 7th grade again and I can't hold it in. I finally had to excuse myself to the drinking fountain for a break and a giggle. Good thing I was all alone. If Greg had been with it, I'm sure we would've just lost it. I don't call it "The Crazy North" for nothing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Aw c'mon now Julie. I'm sure Greg loves your buns just as much as the next guy!!
How funny. I don't know how you held it all together.
OMGOSH Julie this is fabulous I have been totally hoping to find you in this crazy blog universe. It seems like eventually you find EVERYONE. It will be so great to check you and the fam out. Your little girls are so cute that little Chloe (Olivia Newton John inspired?) has quite the personality. Can't wait to hear more from you. I really do think about you a ton... You were such a huge part of my childhood!!
By the way you look the same, just thought I would throw that one out there.
I say "sticky buns" when referring to those caramel rolls made with butterscotch pudding.. but cinnamon buns I can't do. It reminds me of the giant cinnamon bun donuts, then I flash back to high school and my sophomore year when my lab partner, Yusef Clark (memba him?) would eat donuts while dissecting our frog and I just stood in the distance and gagged and let him do all the work.
P.S-Tati is SUPER cute with her little witch hat on!
I could go for some buns right now.
I love the breakdown on the buns. Very entertaining and informative. Don't you love when old people speak in double entendre and don't even realize it. Nothing funnier.
Hi Carlie--
I saw your comment and had to say hi. I'm so excited to find our long-lost Lovstedt friends. I'm going to go check out your blog right now.
"Yusef"...that's a blast from the past. I remember when he used to pal around with Carl and the rest of his cool-guy friends.
YOU are too funny and oh my goodness that would've been hilarious if Greg were there for that too!! Can't wait to see you guys in a couple months!!!!
Post a Comment