Pages

November 17, 2008

Science Padawan

I realized the science force was great with Chloe one day as I was channel surfing. I happened upon a Discovery Channel special that was talking about mega ice dams and catastrophic floods in Washington, Idaho and Montana millions of years ago. After a few minutes of intense listening and scrutiny I suddenly became aware of another person in the room. Chloe was sitting in the love seat next to me. In an effort show some mercy I asked her if the show was boring and if she wanted to watch "kid tv" or the Food Network. "No, Daddy," she replied without breaking eye contact with the tv, "I like this show." As pride swelled deep within me I realized my dreams of one day having my very own budding science padawan were coming true.

Well, this past weekend was yet another opportunity for Chloe to wax strong in the Jedi Scientist ways. The University of Alberta Earth Science museums put on a "Science Saturday" for kids. Basically take all the people at Disneyland, stuff them into the halls and rooms of a single university building, then, in the pore spaces between people stuff tables with activities to teach kids about science: i.e. fossil rubbing, fossil casting in clay, origami crystals, bug stuff and (my favorite of course) rock/meteorite/mineral activities.

She loved it. I was especially proud of how interested in the minerals and rocks she was.
The volunteers working the tables would ask her questions to get her to think about stuff like "Where do meteorites come from" and she would sit, thinking and respond "They are like little planets that fall out of space, like shooting stars." Yeah, she's only 4, not bad.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

How great to have a kid love what you love. You two need to find me a bigger diamond.

Carlie said...

Wow sounds like fun. Spencer is our science guru. He is addicted to Discovery Channel, Discovery Health, and The Science Channel. Sometimes he throws in some Military Channel for kicks and giggles. He would've thought that expo was a little taste of heaven.

Carlie said...

P.S- That makes it sound like all he does is watch t.v..he doesn't. He is just full of questions, which is why he and Mom get along so well--because, you know, she knows everything. He especially loves her random facts, and UFO information.

Natalie said...

Ha ha ha, I'm guessing Greg wrote this one because it sounds just like him talking! GO CHLOE!!! :) It's from all that Baby Einstein, I'm telling you! Oh, and genius parent genes, too.