Pages

May 6, 2012

A "Hole-y" Birthday

Chloe has recently been asking a lot about getting her ears pierced. I told her when she was about 4 that she could get them done whenever she wanted to but it needed to be her choice. She was always so scared of it so after a while I stopped asking her. Since some of her friends at school have been getting their ears pierced, she has started to really wanted to do it. We had a very frank discussion about what all it entails and the pain, etc.  When she was still interested, I figured it was finally time.  We considered trying that numbing cream but my mom said that the pain was all part of the right of passage and I had to agree.

So here she is before with her perfect, little ears.



I gave the lady full warning that I was going to be one of those psycho Moms who check and re-check the marks before she pierced and she laughed and said, "Oh, we get that all the time."  Then when I actually tried telling her I didn't like where she lined them up she got all offended and told me how she followed all the piercing rules and besides that Chloe had one ear bigger than the other.  And I was like, "What?  No she doesn't, let me see!"  And guess what?  She does.  Yeah, her left ear and earlobe are like way bigger.  Funny that we never noticed, but then again why would we have?  So I had to decide if I wanted her holes to be even and then from the front look like the earrings weren't symmetrical or whether I wanted one piercing to look "off" when looking at the one ear but symmetrical if you looked at her head on.  Well I didn't really like either option but I chose that I wanted the piercing to look even on each side.  They are a little off symmetrically but not bad at all.  Nobody is perfect.

And here she is after:

And here is Tati dreaming of the day she'll get her ears pierced at age 8 or later.  At least 8 years old is our new rule.  She was super excited until she watched it all.  Then she said she was never getting it done.  Ha, ha.  I'm glad Chloe didn't see it.

She only asked if she could take the earrings out once, the first night because she was struggling getting to sleep but I told her if she could just make it two nights she wouldn't even notice them anymore.  She survived and was totally glad she stayed strong.




1 comment:

Cyndi said...

I think 8 is great for piercing ears. That's what we did with Skylar. We figured if she was old enough to be accountable according to Heavenly Father then she was old enough to be accountable to poke holes in her ears too. Chloe looks way cute!! Oh and Skylar has weird ears too. :)