Pages

October 6, 2008

Frisbee Golf

Or FOLF as it is sometimes called. I remember once upon a time my friend Heidi was telling me about frisbee golf and I laughed at her thinking she was joking. Surely it couldn't be a real thing. Golfing with frisbees? Come on. Well, it is real and I've finally done it. I'm not really a golfer and luckily neither is Greg (aside from the expense, neither one of us really has the patience for it) but we both enjoy throwing a frisbee around quite a bit. Greg is actually really good at frisbee. It is one of his secret talents. So a friend of his here let him borrow some fancy "discs" and we were on our way. Usually in most cities, if you know where to look, they have a course set up. Oh, and did I mention the course is FREE?! Of course you do need some frisbees but even if you don't have the official ones (which are pretty cool), we did see people with just normal frisbees too. Here are the basics of what you'll need to know before you go.


The frisbees have names. Some of our faves were: The Marauder, the Sting Ray, and the Tee Bird. Ok sure, they have their official names too: there is the long range, the middle range and of course the putter. It was funny to see some people actually have these really fancy hip bags full of their frisbees and before each move they make they are like riffling through their bags and deciding which one to use.

Chloe with the Marauder.


Me with the Tee Bird. I don't know if it was the reference to Grease or what, but I LOVED this frisbee.


This is what you're aiming for:

The problem is that you can't always see it because trees are in the way. You're supposed to make each basket in three tries but it was more like 6-8 for us. Maybe with practice.


If you take your kids, pack a lunch and just let your kid throw their frisbee over and over while you and your husband compete to see who is better. We just strolled little Tats around with us too.


Here is more or less what our course looks like:


These are a few options for throwing your frisbee:

The Kid Throw:





The Master Throw (notice the concentration):


The Horse Shoe Throw:

Just like you're playing "Horse Shoes". This was my Dad's throw of choice because it is so much easier on the back. Be careful not to be too vigorous ("he's so vigorous father, very very vigorous"--name that movie) because you will be sore.

Then there is me. The Wonder Woman Throw. For some reason everytime I take my turn, somebody watching falls to the grass in hard laughter. Mostly that somebody was my dad or husband but some randoms got a kick out of it too. Good thing my skin is so thick. How else was I supposed to get the needed strength to throw it super far?

We did about 6 holes the first day and then we did about 5 the next time we went. We just start at the number we left off on and eventually we'll do all 18 holes. It was really fun and I would highly recommend it for a family activity. We may actually break down and buy some fancy frisbees.

If you're bored and want to watch a silly documentary about frisbee golf, check this link. It reminded me of a movie that my husband and little brother would make.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh I love it! Frisbee golf?! I would totally throw like you!! And look at your skinny little legs. You are lookin good, honey. And p.s., I love to hear your voice. Blogs are so great.

Melanie said...

The movie is Zoro. Right? Right?
You guy's all through a frizbe so differently. Greg is so serious. You could care less and Chole is still trying to figure it out. So cute. Did you like my interpretation? I love the video's.
We miss you guy's.
Love,
Mel

Sullivan Family said...

We totally play Frisbee Golf in our coldesac!! You just pick a target and see who can get the closest in the fewest throws!!! It makes a great FHE game!! OK...about the bangs, you made my day when you said how good they look...I have been through so much crap trying to get them that way. It just takes a lot of training them and blowdrying then from the root down, if you don't you will get what I usually have HORSE HAIR ( atleast that is what my stylist called it) So thank you for the comment and hopefully you wont have as much as a struggle as I did. GINA

Natalie said...

That looks like so much fun! I forgot about Greg's secret talent! Those videos are awesome! I'm so glad you put them on there, I almost felt like I was there sitting on a picnic blanket watching you guys play and laughing at you. It
sure is beautiful there! And Amen to Rebecca...you look soooo good! How on earth did you lose the baby weight so fast?

Julie said...

Good Job Mel, it's Zorro.