Pages

October 4, 2008

LOL


What is so funny? Why is everybody laughing? And why are they all laughing out loud? Couldn't you just laugh to yourself quietly? I mean if I'm going to Laugh Out Loud, it better be something so funny I want to slap my booty. But then again, this is the cyberworld and things here are all messed up and weird.

I think the problem is that people either are afraid of how their audience will view them. Or they are talking too extreme and mean and want to soften up their "mean-ness" with a "lol". It is like the days of yore when we'd throw down the ole "J/K" everywhere. "You stink. J/K!" and of course the ole smiley face is always a nice addition too. "You're the worst friend! :-)"

Ok, let's supppose something funny does happen and it does cause you to laugh. Is it really necessary to publish the fact that it made you laugh to everybody else? And if so, why use a dumb acronymn like "lol"? It's not even a complete sentence! As a matter of fact, when I see "lol", the last thing I want to do is laugh. I'm more apt to throw my shoe at something. (Notice the lack of a 'J/K', ':-)' or 'lol'?! That means I'm serious. And I'm not laughing.)

So to all of you "lol-ers" out there, shut up and stop laughing out loud. So next time try: "IGOTI" (I'm Grinning On The Inside.) or "IJPMP" (I Just Peed My Pants.) or "OCIRMS" (Oh crap, I Ruptured My Spleen.) or whatever.

If you want to really read some annoying acronymns, check out this link.

p.s. (added at a later date) I should have mentioned that Greg is the co-author of this post. Thus that extra push of passionate writing was his.)

4 comments:

Cyndi said...

I'm totally with you! I am not a fan of LOL at all. Now, if you could just get IJPMP to catch on with the rest of the world it'd definitely be a better place to be!

Rebecca said...

Wow, Julie. GOWYBS! (Go on with your bad self!)

Natalie said...

Awwww. Now I feel horrible. I'll work on it... :)

Marnie said...

Don't hide how you really feel.