
I'm sure. This totally looks like I staged this shot. But no, this is my fall table and I really did make this delish dessert/bread. This is probably my most sought after and revered recipe. Doesn't it look so good?! I got it from a lady in CO. I LOVE IT--but I love everything almondy. During this time of year, you can hoopty it up with a cup or so (I like lots so sometimes 2 cups)of chopped, fresh cranberries. I'm also waiting to add some chopped almonds to the mix. Basically without the poppies, it can be a general sweet cake base for lots of desserts like ice cream or fruit. With no glaze, it would be a to die for strawberry shortcake. But ok, I'm getting ahead of myself. Try the basic first and then you can pimp it up yourself. We call it "Cakey Bread" but here's the real name:
Almond Poppy Bread
3 c. flour
2 ½ c. sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 ½ c. milk
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/8 c. vegetable oil
1 ½ -2 T. poppy seeds
1 ½ tsp. butter flavored extract (optional)
1 ½ tsp. almond extract
Glaze:
¼ c. orange juice
¾ c. sugar
½ tsp. butter flavored extract (optional)
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. almond extract
For bread: Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, vanilla and eggs. Once mixed, add vegetable oil, poppy seeds, butter flavoring, and almond flavoring. Mix for 1-2 minutes with electric mixer until all combined. Grease two bread pans or one bundt and pour in mixture. Bake at 350.
For glaze: Mix ingredients and then put on top of bread (duh). I like to use a basting brush to coat with the glaze.
p.s. I've tried to sub applesauce for the oil and it just isn't as good.
p.s.s. Tell me if you do a variation of this that I should try.

6 comments:
Looks de-lish. I wonder how it would work w/ some pumpkin added? I love me some pumpkin baked goods in the Fall. Thanks for sharing.
Your fall decore is fabulous!!!!
Ok, your table looks cute. That sounds more like me. I made a pumpkin cake for Wally's b-day this year with the bunt pan you gave me. You don't know how often I use that thing. I just wanted to tell you thank you again for it. I have to say that your "bun't" looks delisious. He he!!!!
Yeah! I am so glad you found us! I think about you and your fam all the time. Sean my hubbie knows everything about our days growing up with the Lovestedts. I have been scrolling thru your old posts and can see what an good wife and mommy your are. Your family is gorgeous! I was pleased to see you share my joy for cooking, and reality shows like The Hills. Not something I am super proud of, but I just can't get enough celebrity gossip. Now that we have all reconnected maybe we can get the "Olvia Newton John/Koala Bear" fanclub reunited! No fighting over whos pres though!
Julie, I hope you don't mind, I was so excited to see your blog link on Melanies. Your family is so beautiful. I visited Canada last january and it was so cold--I totally thought about you guys. Hope you are fairing well.
kyle
I love how you always use fun Julie words like "hoopty!"
I remember you eating almonds when you were pregnant with Chloe at our presidency meetings. I also think of you whenever I see the edges of pizza or what have you and the cheese is all burnt and yummy looking.
OH MY GOSH!!! Thank you sooooo much for putting this on here! I was going to email you this week and beg you to email it to me because I've been craving it and I can't find the recipe. THANK YOU!!! Must have been inspired. :D
Post a Comment