Pages

May 4, 2013

Science Center

Once upon a time when I was a teenager, our family went to San Francisco.  I can't remember the reason for our trip or where all we went on that trip, but I do remember going to the Science Center there, the Exploratorium.  The thing that always stood out in my mind from that trip was watching somebody cutting open a cow's eye.  At the time I remember it being both disgusting and cool to see.

This Christmas, some of our nice friends bought us a trip to the Science Center here.   We just never seemed to find a time when we could all go together.  We were starting to feel like we were never going to make it there and the kids kept asking so we finally planned our trip.  We chose this particular day because one of the activities listed was watching the dissection of an animal eye.  I knew the kids would both love it and never forget it.

There were so many fun things to see and do there.  It was awesome.

I had fun showing Gavin some fish. It dawned on me by his excitement that he's never really seen salt water fish before--except for on t.v. Kind of sad. He loved the anemone and the clown fish--of course.


Gavin went crazy in the kid section because there was a whole airline display. He could fly the plane and push a bunch of buttons that made a bunch of noises and made lights flash. You could also push around luggage carts and put things through a pretend x-ray conveyer belt. He was pretty cute there.  After a while he even shared the driving duties with Tati.  That just proves how much he loves his big sis.


Chloe and Tati loved the water table section. There were balls and water and fountains and mazes for the balls to flow into. There was even a ball whirlpool. It was every kids splashy dream come true.

Tati enjoyed played with all the static and magnetic stations. She also really loved charging a rocket and launching it.

Chloe loved the astronaut display and pretending she was in space. And I love the way Tati was holding her hand while she was on the moon.


We went outside and had a super fun picnic and it was sunny and bright and beautiful outside. Then it was time for the main event, the eye.

(Warning Marnie, you might want to skip the following pictures)


Since Gavin wasn't into any of it, I took him back to the airplane section and the girls stayed back with Greg and saw a cow brain, a kidney and some slides of other internal organs.
This would be a great place to buy a season pass to but it is quite pricey. Hopefully wherever we end up will have a Science Center and we can buy a membership there. The kids would love to go and even just play with the water table and balls again.

At the end of the day, we asked the kids what their favorite part was. Gavin loved the airplane, Chloe said she loved watching the eyeball and Tati said her favorite part was seeing the cow brain. So I was glad we went on that demo day.

No comments: